Re: Difficult Shifting Symptoms

To: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Subject: Re: Difficult Shifting Symptoms
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:58:41 -0400
PVanDuyne@aol.com wrote:

> Listers
>
> Any Ideas as to the cause(s) of the following symptoms (Hoping to be at the
> Nationals in Portland):
>
>                 1. First sign of trouble was difficulty in
> down shifting to second. Shift linkage felt             stuck, even if I came
> to a full stop I                                still had to pull much harder
> than normal to          get it out of third.  First and second still
> feel OK.
>
>                 2. Second symptom is a slight gear chatter
> when up shifting to third and downshifting                      from third.
> This has always been present if                 I was aggressive but now it
> happens on                              almost every shift but not if I
> double                          clutch. I bought the car with 81,500 Miles
>                 and it was a daily fair weather driver. It
> currently has 84,500 miles and I have not                       touched the
> clutch, MC or slave.
>
>                 3.The third symptom bothers me the most,
> maybe it has always done this, but the                          shifter moves
> about once inch forwards and                    backwards       when
> accelerating in third.  Step            on the  trottle and the shift knob
> moves back              one inch release the throttle and it moves
>         forward one inch.  I am able to occasionally            get it to
> jump out of gear doing this.
>
>                 Any ideas as to the cause will be appreciated!!  I had a
> small front end collision in September 98.  I have since replaced the bonnet
> and bumper any chance the above are related to this accident?
>
> Pete VanDuyne
> 1980 Spit
possibilities include a worn 2nd gear slider and also the snap ring that
is on the mainshaft between 2nd & 3rd speed gears. this is an external
snapring that rests in a groove on the mainshaft.  it is possible this
has come out of the groove an dis allowing the gears to move on the
mainshaft.  possibly a result of the accident? or just wear or, if the
trans has ever been apart for rebuild, the rebuilder reinstalled the
original snap ring. this is a NO NO. the snap ring has enough strength
to retain itself only for 1 installation.  wehn we rebuild trans. we use
the old snapring to test the clearaances and install the new part only
for final assembly. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive