Re: Body Mounting Nuts, Bolts and washers

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Body Mounting Nuts, Bolts and washers
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:17:05 -0400

"T. .R. Dafforn" wrote:

> I am about to put the newly repaired body of my spit 1500 back on to its
> chassis....
> Unfortunately I didn't note where the 4 big aluminium washers and rubber
> washers go....?
> Does anyone have any idea...?
> Also does anyone know the specifications of the bolts used between the
> chassis and body? I don't want to buy a full body mounting kit as I can
> get the bolts cheeper here....
> Would stainless steel bolts and nuts be strong enough in this position?
>
> cheers
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Dafforn
> Structural Medicine
> Department of Haematology
> CIMR
> University of Cambridge
> Wellcome-MRC Building (Level6)
> Hills Road
> Cambridge
> CB2 2XY
>
> Tel. (01223) 336829
> Fax. (01223) 336827
> http://cerberus.haem.cam.ac.uk/

Tim
Just did this in the spring
The four aluminum washers go at the front under the firewall
brackets and at the rear on the shock towers. These four locations
also get a rubber washer. Two additional washers are used at the seat belt
mounting points (7/16" bolt I think) beside the drive shaft.
Any grade 5 bolt should be adequate for the body bolts. I bought the
kit but I think I could have purchased the bolts for about a quarter
of the kit price.
I don't think I'd use stainless hardware as it is not very strong, it has
a tendency to spall up so badly you can't get it apart and you might
run into galvanic corrosion problems with it. Just my .02 cents!!!
Hope this helps and good luck
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlington, Ontario