Re: Hand brake handle

To: "Eric Kieboom" <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hand brake handle
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:05:51 -0400

> >Black and Decker make a Hot Air Gun that looks and works like a hair
dryer
> >... only much hotter.
>
> No, no. Use the right tool for the right job. A hot air gun is *way* too
> hot for removing hand brake handles. You don't want to melt it and then
> scrape the goo off the drivehaft tunnel, just gently soften up the
plastic
> and slide it off. A good hairdryer is perfect for this, even better
> application than drying hair with it. There should be a label on them:
> "Triumph Spitfire brake handle remover - also suitable for blow-drying
hair".

> ;-)
>

> --
> Eric Kieboom - The Netherlands
> 1976 Spit 1500 - Original Java Green
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~ekieboom/spit/spit.html

Eric...I never said use it until the rubber (now probably replaced with
vinyl) melts! Anytime you use this tool you have to be cautious of how much
heat and where you apply it. Even where you can't destroy the materials (eg
undercoat on metal) you can still heat so hot that the undercoat catches
fire! Please don't attribute to me something I didn't say...I merely
described a tool that can be used and also has many other uses. Almost
anything this tool can be used for, it can also be abused for.

Keith