RE: Yellow Lights

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Yellow Lights
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 10:28:32 -0700

        Ever been curious why railroads also have what appears to be 'traffic
lights' next to the tracks with red, yellow and green lights?

        Railroads divide up their lines into segments called 'blocks', where
each
block is a length of track a train could be traveling in.  It could be
1,000 feet long or 10 miles, but it's a dividable section of track for
reference.  To keep trains from running into the backs of each other, they
use signalling to moderate the following distance.

        GREEN: The next block ahead of you AND the one after that is clear.
Proceed at speed.

        YELLOW: The next block ahead of you is clear, BUT the one after that is
not.  Proceed with caution/reduced speed.

        RED: The next block is occupted.  Do NOT enter under any circumstance.
Bring the train to a stop before the signal and await instructions.

        Imagine how this could be applied to our highways!

-Vegaman Dan
-66/69 Spitui!

 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |       ConiFur NorthWest '99- Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |  Flinters@picarefy.com * www.picarefy.com/~flinthoof   |