Re: Thrust washers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust washers
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 07:57:05 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/99 8:25:57 AM EST, jw@mitre.org writes:

> Greg - Any explanation available online on how to change a thrust washer
>  in a spit? Have read about problems with them, if only takes an hour,
>  sounds like good insurance.
>  Joe

I've had a couple of inquiries about that hour statement and I've come to
regret it
somewhat.  I DID manage to change a set in about an hour, but that was with
experience and under perfect conditions, no stuck bolts, rounded heads or
stripped threads and how often does THAT happen?  Still, an afternoon should
do you.

To answer your question, I've never seen a site devoted to a thrust
washer-ectomy.  The real secret is just knowing that it can be done with
the engine in the car.  For some reason none of the manuals seem to
admit to this.  Basically you drop the oil pan which gives you access
to the main bearing caps.  Remove the rear one and slide the old
thrust washers out and the new ones in.  Button everything back
up again.

The only tedious part is removing and refitting all those all oil pan
bolts, but if you have an air wrench or even some sort of '"nut driver",
it's not too bad.  BTW, this all applies to a 1500; I'm not sure if the 1147
and 1296 are the same.

Also, if you haven't already heard this tip, always start the car with the
clutch ENGAGED (off the pedal) to avoid the crankshaft
being pushed forward against the thrust washers before the oil
circulates.

Hope this helps.  Haynes gives a lot of good info about a bottom
end rebuild and is a must read for the necessary warnings, cautions
and admonishments.  Now it's been about a year since I last changed
a set myself, but if you want me to provide a more detailed procedure
with an "IIRC" caveat, please let me know and I'll be glad to oblige.

Have fun!

-Greg