RE: Distributor orientation

To: "'Nick Moseley'" <nmoseley@comsavings.com>,
Subject: RE: Distributor orientation
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:47:47 -0500
First this disclaimer....

I have done this before on lots of different makes of cars, except of course
on my 1500 Spitfire.

That said, you shouldn't have a problem removing the distributor, and
re-installing it to a location that allows you to adjust the timing.  More
than likely, the problem occurred because the distributor has been out before
and when reinstalled it was put in a tooth or two off from it's optimal
position.  Just make sure that the timing of the distributor is set close to
the timing of the engine and you can put it just about anywhere that works.
When you take out the distributor and when putting it back in the shaft will
turn, the gears between it and the camshaft cause this.  The oil pump drive
will also have to be turned to align it with the distributor prior to
re-installing the distributor.

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'