Re: Oil Filter Experiences WAS: Oil Filter Adapter.

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Experiences WAS: Oil Filter Adapter.
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 23:06:11 -0400 (EDT)
> Pat,
>
> I'm familiar with that site about the oil filters.  That guy didn't do any
> real scientific tests.
>
> I'm not a Fram fanatic, but several years ago Consumer Reports said that
> Fram was the most consistant filter...yada yada yada.
>
> That being said, I'm using a Crosland in my Spit right now and have used
> Wix, Unipart, and Purolator in the past.  I have _never_ had a problem with
> a spin-on filter Fram or otherwise in the past 25 yrs.
>
> Aside from your story, the only filter problem I have heard of was a split
> metal case, and that was on a Mopar Competition filter, no less!   Go figure.
>
> Has anyone else?

yes.

though I agree that this guy didn't do any 'real' tests himself (and says
so on the site) I thought it was way cool just that he cut them open to
have a look-see.  he said something about common sense and being able to
judge quality at least a little with your own eyes.  I agree there too.  I
thought the site held up for what it was, so long as you view it just as
being able to look into a filter and judge for yourself.  good enough for
me.  as well, a fram quality engineer has a letter on the site that say
enough for me never to buy a fram again (assuming you believe it's
authentic)

now having said that, I will admit to a bias against fram and a
sensitivity about filters.  a few years ago a bike racer had his fram
filter blow off his bike while at speed on the track.  the guy was injured
pretty bad as I recall.  the filter was clearly defective.  the guy sued
and at first fram fought it until it was made blatently obvious that the
filter was, to put it kindly, a complete hunk of poorly manufactured sh!t,
and there was no other contributing mech. reason for the crash.  this was
a supersport bike and was not seeing extreme operation in comparison to
its intended usage (crotch rocket, if you will, not a '62 bultaco).  fram
settled very quickly when it became apparent they weren't going to be able
to weasel out of it.  I seem to remember in the course of it that somebody
from allied signal admitted that they knew the filters weren't really up
to snuff, but just kept playing the odds that nothing would happen.

I will not use any fram products on any of my bikes or cars, ever.

scott