Re: The Mystery Continues

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: The Mystery Continues
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:38:30 -0400
At 10:04 PM 5/22/99 -0400, LARRY ELSWICK wrote:

>Still no luck with 1 and 2  cylinders
>running rich, plugs carbon coated,
>and cylinders 3 and 4 running with
>what appears to be a proper mixture.
>This after rechecking valve clearances
>and vacuum lines.
>I did discover the EGR vacuum outlet
>open on the ZS 150 carb; the previous
>owner had removed
>the air pump and all associated lines. I
>plugged this vacuum opening. Also the
>line running from the carb to the
>carbon canister is not connected.
>Should I reconnect this? The anti-runon
>valve is not hooked up to the electrical
>system either; the engine has not continued
>to run after the ignition is turned off. I hope
>some out there can help! Thanks!

Hi Larry,

The things you noticed with vacuum ports would not, IIRC, cause a mixture
problem in only two of the four cylinders. That EGR vacuum source is shared
with the distributor diaphragm, though, so make sure the dizzy is retarding
properly at idle.

How is the idle quality at say 800 PRM? If very rough, spray carb cleaner
around the intake manifold (especially the 3 & 4 side), if the idle smooths
out you may have found a leak.

Are the fouled plugs wet (not firing) or dry (rich)? If wet look at
ignition (cap, rotor, wires -- even if recently changed).

After that I would have to again recommend a compression test.

BTW, you should plug any open ports to the carb (carbon canister and EGR).
Just make sure the crankcase vent is working (that's the hose from the
valve cover to the front side of the carb, which on my 79 is also connected
to that charcoal canister).

PS, you have been trying to solve this problem a long time. Might be
beneficial to take a few steps back from the car, and re-approach it as if
it just happened. Jot down some notes like [action ---> result].

Helpfully yours,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire

"Young people eventually realize that the longer they live, the older they
will get."