Is it hard to change the rear hub outer oil seal?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Is it hard to change the rear hub outer oil seal?
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 19:27:35 -0500
I went to check my rear brakes this evening, and I noticed
that one side definitely needed a rebuild.  Besides leaking brake fluid,
there was a fair amount of grease on everything, which had obviously
leaked past the outer hub oil seal.

It looks like it should be possible to replace this seal by pulling
the hub, removing the grease shield, brake backing plate and seal cover,
and pressing the new seal into the seal cover.  Is it
really as simple as I make it sound?  Will a reasonably beefy
four-jaw gear puller be sufficient for getting the hub off?
I have heard that messing with the rear hubs can be a risky business.
Will I be avoiding the bad stuff if I only want to replace the seal?

Thanks,

Doug Braun
'72 Spit