Re: Manual choke conversion

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Manual choke conversion
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:27:52 -0400

In message <1C866BFE7D63D211AC3E00A0C969E973017EA514@orsmsx39.jf.intel.com>you
write:

>Hey all;
>
>I am considering installing a manual choke conversion kit as I put my
>Spitfire back together.  I have two questions:
>
>1)     Many of the catalogs indicate that this may be an illegal
>modification for emissions purposes.  My view of this is that it could
>adversely affect emissions ONLY if you drove around with it out all the time
>instead of just when it was needed for a cold engine.  Am I right about
>this?

   Don't know about this, but I think it depends on which State you are
   from.  Some requires an visual inspection and if something is missing
   you will fail.

>2)     Do the choke conversions kits include a bracket for mounting the
>knob under the dash because I don't want to drill a hole in the dash.

   You don't have to buy a custom kit, an universal conversion kit will
   work.  It just takes a little more work getting the cover to fit (in
   my case).  The universal kit came with a bracket for mounting it under
   the dash.  I recall seeing such a kit in the JC Withney catalogue for
   around $7.00US, but I'm sure if you look around your local auto parts
   shop you will be able to find one.

   I did such a conversion on my 78 Spit which help with the running rich
   problem.  I then converted to a dual SU set up and was able to use the
   same choke cable for the SU's.  Good luck with your conversion.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html