Easy Spit Diff Installation

To: richard stieg <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>,
Subject: Easy Spit Diff Installation
From: BWN <bwnbcg@cruzio.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 16:31:07 -0700

It took about three hours to reinstall
>the differential.  >snip

>how did you fit the bloody thing back into the mounts by yerself?

>I plan or wrestling with my '75 tonite.

>rick stieg

Rick

Here is how you do it:

Roll the diff under the car on a floor jack.  Elevate the diff until you
can put the rear bushing "ears" into the slots in the frame.  This will
locate and hold the rear of the unit temporarily.  Then continue to
elevate the unit while guiding the front bushings around the mounting
studs.  Install lower front bushing halves, washers, and nuts, but do
not tighten all the way down yet.  Use the jack to raise and lower the
diff as needed to align the rear bushings with the bolt hole through the
frame.  It is easiest to see from the right side on account of brake
line obstruction if you look from the left.  you may need a lever to
force the diff forward slightly to get alignment of all the holes.  When
aligned insert the pointed bolt.  Use your old rocker shaft (you did
save your old rocker shaft, right?) to pound the bolt through the
bushing sleeves and frame holes.  Now tighten the front bushing bolts
properly.  Install the nut on the rear bolt from the left side.  If you
attach several ratchet extensions you can get enough play  and length to
work through the brake tubing to reach the nut.  Tighten properly.  If
you are lucky the bolt will be jammed in there so as not to need a
wrench on the other end.

That's all. It is the easiest part of the operation.  Be sure to have
the exhaust off the car first.  Mine is a one piece custom pipe and
glass pack that attaches with a flange at the header and a couple of
hanger bolts near the back.  Simple, fast, and accessible.  I
contemplated running it out the side in front of the rear wheels like a
Caterham, but there is not enough ground clearance.  It would be nice
to  work on the rear end without removing the exhaust.

All the best.  And remember to put it up on proper jacks.  I have had
the spit slide off the jacks before.  Just a warning.

Brian