Re: Front spring spacers

To: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Front spring spacers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 20:04:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 2 May 1999, Glenn Trunnell wrote:

> When I installed my higher rated front springs last year they seemed to
> work fine but I am noticing that the bonnet is rubbing on the upper
> sidewall of the tire and is cutting it somewhat.

Which part of the bonnet do you mean? What you're saying sounds as if the
"lip" of the fender is what's rubbing. If so, you've got a clearance
problem more from too wide a wheel than from ride height. The
"traditional" fix for this problem is to hammer (or have someone do it
for you) flat the lip of the fender, i.e., "fold" it back on itself
somewhat. Of course, that's a rather permanent move, and likely you'll
need to do some priming and painting when done.

> Does anyone know of a
> source in the US to get the spacer that can go on top of the spring seat to
> raise the ride height?  TRF has a spacer set for the rear of the TR4 that
> sits between the spring and the seat, will this work on a Spit as well?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if that particular part would work or not. Many earlier
Spitfires (and Heralds and maybe even GT6s? I'm not sure about them) sent
to the U.S. had spacers on the driver's side road spring/shock assembly.
Again, I'm not absolutely sure they would work with your aftermarket springs.

Hopefully someone else will have additional thoughts.

--Andy