Re: on board spares list

To: Thorn <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>,
Subject: Re: on board spares list
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 11:19:21 -0400
At 09:20 AM 10/24/98 -0500, Thorn wrote:
>I have just read the interesting account of a loose oil filter, etc etc..
>It occurred to me that the writer was doing the right thing to have extra
>oil on board.
>
>Then, I wondered, what should *I* have on board my '79 Spit daily driver?
>It's a mostly intown, short trip (100-200 miles) car.
>
>Yes, my roadside service is paid up and I carry a cell phone! :)

An in-car battery charger for the cell phone?   :) back atcha!

>Any suggestions?

I have always been leary of carrying oil or other fluids.  Even unopened
ones can leak!   Yuk!       <-- voice of experience
 I check & top up the fluids on a regular basis instead of carrying them in
the car.

I carry a small plastic tool chest in the boot of the Spit. Small sockets,
wrenches (one adjustable), screw- and phillips drivers, electrical tape,
duct tape, picture hanger wire (for repairing broken exhaust straps etc),
zs carb adjusting tool are all in there. Flashlight is a _must_ on a car
with Lucas electrics.  A used water pump/alternator belt resides in the
spare tire.

>Tools, fluids, belts, filters, plugs, points ??? (It has
>a mechanical distributor.)

Definitely a condenser and points (used, "known good" ones are an
inexpensive plus.) If you want, a used but good rotor & dizzy cap might be
good.

Of course, YMMV.   You don't want to compromise the limited trunk space, do
you?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(57 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98