RE: Cranky nuts

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Cranky nuts
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:14:22 -0500
I've already tried everything except removal of the oil pan.  My impact
wouldn't loosen the nut even though I put the car in 4th and locked the
parking brake and hammered on it until my ears rung!  Once the Iowa
winter starts I'll probably take the pan off and try again.  Even
considering removal of the bonnet, so that I can get to the front of the
engine without standing on my head.  I wouldn't mind so much but the oil
being thrown from the front seal is eating up the new body seals!  It
also gets all over the bonnet by leaking past the headlamp (no engine
valance to stop it)

Just checking, but for those of you who have removed the vibration
damper. This nut is right hand thread, correct?  Are there any locking
devices on it? (i.e.. cage nuts or the like)  I've pulled a lot of
engines apart and I've never had problems like this one.  The PO said
the engine was rebuilt 3 months before I bought it.  Wouldn't think that
it would be so hard to get the
%$#! thing  off!

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500

 p.s.
Thanks for listening.  I needed to rant, as my wife won't let me go to
Wichita to buy two basket case TR3s.  No sense of humor!