Re: Red ignition light meaning

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Red ignition light meaning
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:54:14 -0400
Joe, me thinks you have been visited by the Prince of Darkness. Your alternator
is likely fried (assuming the battery is OK). Check the charging rate by
conecting a voltmeter across the battery while the engine is running. You should
see about 14 volts. If the you have something like 12 or 12.5 volts, the
alternator is not working. The problem could be sue to bad diodes or bad
regulator. The VTR web pages have a very good description of how alternators
work and specifically how to fix Lucas units. Good stuff to read.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario