Re: 12 volts at idle

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 12 volts at idle
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@tempest.nac.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:05:28 -0400
At 10:40 AM 9/10/98 -0500, KEVIN EDDINS wrote:
>Is it a bad thing if my voltmeter registers at 12 volts when idling.  This is
>with the lights on.
>
>When at driving rpm, it reads 13 - 14 volts.
>
>This is a '79 spit.

Kevin,

Sounds as if your charging system is OK.

If the readings bother you (bet your lights dim and your turn signals slow
down) try increasing your idle speed 50 RPM.

I have my idle set to 700RPM with the lights, cooling fan, and heater fan
<on>. Without all that stuff loading the system, the idle is about 1000
RPM.  (Any higher than that and the engine tends to run on a bit after
turning the ignition off.)

YMMV.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines