Re: dies on a hill - again!

To: Thorn <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: dies on a hill - again!
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@tempest.nac.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:28:31 -0400
At 06:28 AM 9/3/98 -0500, Thorn wrote:

>Well, after retro-fitting a mechanical points/condenser ignition on my
>otherwise standard '79, the "thing" pulled the same trick: died on "the
>same hill" (to add insult to injury) under the same conditions: under a
>load (accelerating up the hill, in traffic, around 25-30 mph) on a hot
>(90's)  Arkansas afternoon around 5'ish.
>
>I suppose it will start right up this morning!  sigh......
>
>ideas??

I have some WAGs (Wild A** Guesses) for you to consider:

Lack of fuel?   Causes

 - Fuel Pump (note recent thread on fulcrum pins falling out)
 - Fuel lines   =  restricted, cracked rubber etc
 - debris in fuel tank, restricting the intake on uphill acceleration runs

Lack of spark?

 - going up the incline & acceleration caused a wire to shift and ground
out the ignition/coil
- Bad parts put in?   (in the 'old' days of points & condensers I had a
couple of new condensers fail soon after installation, or points close up.)

I'm sure someone has suggested taking a different route home... :-)

Too bad you didn't check for spark or fuel at the scene of the crime.

Let us know,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98