Re: sagging spit

To: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Subject: Re: sagging spit
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:17:25 -0400
Reed,

It's a problem common to all later Spits with the pivot spring.
Unfortunately, the air shock will not compensate for a worn rear spring.
It will, however, help with the load carrying capacity of a good spring.
If some of you Spit drivers are like me, close to 200 lbs, I represent
about 1/10th of the total weight of the car as it goes down the road.
Without a passenger, toward which direction do you think the car will
eventually list?

For a test of the spring, I'll pop the hood, stand on with one foot and
bounce, on the right hand body ledge, just below the bonnet catch. If
the car's rear end comes back to a fairly level, side-to-side height,
with something less then a negative 4 degrees camber, chances are the
air shock conversion will help. Once the car gets to about 6-8 degrees
of negative camber, something needs to be done with the spring--re-arch
or replace.

I've had positive comments from many of you about the conversion. Thanks
for the feedback. One person complained of a much rougher ride. Perhaps
that was a case of a totally shot spring and the rear was riding on the
shock stops. I do know I've had the conversion on both of my Spits for
years now (seven on the Monroes, three on the Gabriels) with no
problems.

As the saying goes, results may vary.

Have fun,
Charlie B.