RE: gasoline gauge on Spit 1500

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: gasoline gauge on Spit 1500
From: "the jolly rancher..." <njaremka@eng.buffalo.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Gambony, Jim wrote:

> I'd heard that there was a thread last year on how to test the guage (ground
> out the lead from the tank sender ????)... hopefully someone else can supply
> that answer.

if you use a digital ohm-meter, after you take the sending unit out, at
full it should read about 250ohms, and at empty about 30 (or it might be
the other way around, can't remember when i tested mine).
if it doesn't give you these readings, the sender is probably at fault.

> > Ken Tharp wrote:
> > > When I fill the tank, it reads a little less than 1/2 full. It rapidly
> > > slides down to "E" from there - by the time I've driven 50 miles on my
> > > new tank of gasoline, it says it's empty.
> >
> > Yup, it sounds like your float has sunk. It could be electrical, though.
> > There are some things you can check on your way to removing the float
> > mechanism. In particular, the electrical contacts on top of the float
> > mechanism might be filthy, or the ground wire might have fallen off.
> > Similar problems might exist at the guage end.

nik jaremka

'72 spitfire IV

just drive it...