Re: Point Gap quick question

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Point Gap quick question
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 16:50:13 -0600
Fred Thomas was the first to respond back with an answer about my
point gap.  He suggested that it should work.  Since I was in a hurry
and wanted to get to the show in Nebraska City I went ahead with his
advice.  Originally the point gap was at about .007".  I arrived at
that setting because I was using a dwell meter to set the gap.  It
has since been pointed out to me that if I am using positive ground
then the traditional hookup of the dwell meter may not work.  So
while running with the .007" gap the car ran ok as long as you
weren't pointed up hill (any slight hill).  After changing the gap to
.015" as recommended there was an immediately noticable increase in
power.  So I feel that problem is solved.  However after adjusting
the point gap the idel increased about 500 rpm.  As a temporary fix
so I could get going I just readjusted the idle screws.  I do feel
however that as Joe has suggested, the carbs should be readjusted for
proper mixture, etc.  This I will do sometime on one of the next few
weekends.  First I need to solve some of the problems that were
generated while driving to the show.   See previous post!!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  As usual it is greatly
appreciated.

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (Back on the Road!!!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)