Re: flasher troubles

To: krhodes1@maine.rr.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: flasher troubles
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:25:48 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/98 12:06:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
krhodes1@maine.rr.com writes:

> For a while
>  (several days) the turn signals worked fine in both directions. However,
>  now the indicator lamp is only on when the turn signals or hazards are
>  actually flashing - it is normally off. Last night they quit working in
>  both directions! The hazards still work fine! I am pretty stumped at this
>  point, other than I plan to take the dash out and trace all the wires and
>  make sure all of the connections are good.

Kevin,

The indicator light should be off when the flashers are not working.  Since
the hazard circuit is functioning fine, and since the hazard circuit uses
about 90% of the same wires as the turn signal circuit, we can narrow down the
search quite a bit.

When the hazard switch is on, power to the flasher and the lights comes from a
purple wire into the hazard switch.  When the hazard switch is off, power is
available to the turn signal switch, and to the flasher and lights, from a
green wire, which also goes into the hazard switch.  Therefore, all we need to
check is the green wire into the hazard switch, the light green/ brown wire
from the flasher module to the turn signal switch, and the green/red and
greem/white wires from the turn signal switch.

With the key on and the hazard switch off, check for voltage at the light
green/brown wire where it goes into the turn signal switch.  There should be
12 volts present.  If not, you have a break in the circuit somewhere between
the TS switch and the flasher module, or a break in the green wire that goes
into the hazard switch (we know the light green/brown wire between the hazard
switch and the flasher is good, because the hazard circuit works, and the
flasher gets it's power from this wire).

If no power on the light green/brown wire at the TS switch, check for power on
the green wire as it goes into the hazard switch.  If there is power here,
then you have a break in the light green/brown wire to the TS switch.  If not,
then you have a break in the green wire itself (assuming everything else works
OK, and since everything else is fed from the same "green wire circuit," the
fuse and associated wiring is probably OK -- it is most likely a break only in
the wire to the hazard switch).

If you do have power to the light green/brown wire at the TS switch, turn the
TS switch on, first one side and then the other, and look for voltage on the
green/white and green/red wires coming from the switch (G/W for the right
side, and G/R for the left side).  If you don't have voltage here, then the
switch is bad.  If you do, then there are bad connections between the switch
and the remainder of the circuit (only one connection on each wire, as the
rest of the connections are common to both the TS and the hazard circuits).

All this assume that your car is commission No. FM60001 or up, and the wiring
diagram I have is correct for your car!  Hope this helps!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74