Re: Tire Pressures

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Pressures
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:43:24 -0400
Brad, someone posted a message several months ago. I checked my saved
mail but can't find it readily. The method rocommended seemed like a
pretty reasonable idea especially when dealing with new tires that were
different than the original. It goes something like this:
Get a protable air source (tank or portable inflator), tire guage, and a
piece of chalk.
Drive to an empty parking lot.
Ensure tires are inflated with slightly higher pressures than you think
you need.
Mark the sidewalls of the tread with the chalk.
Drive agressively around the parking lot.
Stop and inspect the chalk marks. If the marks are not scrubbed off,
deflate the tires a pund or two.
Drive around again, re-check and adjust as necessary until the scrubbing
starts. Add a pound of air at the point the scrubbing starts.
This whole procedure sounds reasonable to me as it should result in full
tread contact with the pavement under heavy steering conditions. I am
not sure that the tread wear would be the lowest at this point. I would
guess that adding two or three pounds instead of one might get you to
the best wear point. Only long term driving would prove this out.
When I get my Spit back on the road in May, I have new tires to already
to go on new aluminum rims. This is the method I will be using.
Good luck.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario