Spring maintenance help needed

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spring maintenance help needed
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 15:01:05 -0400
As I am starting to drive Freddy a fair bit as the weather improves,
thoughts turn to the various lubricating rituals involved in Spitfire
stewardship. First, my understanding is that the front suspension trunions
should be oiled, rather than greased. How is this accomplished? I just
bought a spiffy new grease gun yesterday, are there oil cartridges
available for these things? Next, could someone expound on the subject of
where all of the various fittings to be greased or oiled and the
recommended grease/oil to use in each one (Freddy is mostly a 77 Spit in
chassis)? Lastly, I have a bit of play in my steering, is the rack
adjustable at all? I seem to have about .5 - .75  of free play when the
wheels are straight ahead. Also, should the rack be lubricated, and with
what? Thanks a bunch - with a little help from the list my weekend will be
completely full of car related tasks!

-Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit (frighteningly enough, needs the least work of any of my cars)
Claudette the 85 Peugeot 505S TD (Needs many $$$ spent on her)
Unnamed 84 VW Jetta GLI (Needs CV joints, Valve cover gasket, fuel