Re: Spit shift kit praise

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit shift kit praise
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 00:20:58 -0500
Andy Mace wrote:
> All the replaceable bits are nylon bushes; they're probably good for
> anywhere from 35,000-50,000 miles before the job should be done again.

Y'mean I should have done my Herald 55,000 miles ago? As I recall, the
rattle in 4th at highway speed first developed with about 40K on the
odometer. Granted that's getting to be a long time ago (1972), but I
recall routinely driving with one hand on the wheel and the other on the
shifter to keep it quiet. The rattle finally went away after a few
thousand more miles, but since then I'm the only person who could find
the gears (that includes the little weenie at the NJDMV station, who
flunked me because he got it in reverse when he went to test the brakes.
I say learn how to drive, dude 8-)

Put the kit in about a year ago, as part of a complete tranny rebuild.

I had an additional problem in the shifter area - the cup that's milled
into the aluminum extension was badly eroded, so the brand new nylon
ball at the bottom of the shift lever was binding on the edges of the
cup. I repaired mine by epoxying in a homemade nylon insert (from a
chair glide) at the bottom of the cup, so now I have nylon on nylon.
Feels nice and smooth in bench tests. Can't wait to get it on the road!

           |    |
   _____   |    |   ______
  |     |XXXXXXXXXX|      |  XXX is the nylon hemisphere
  |     \XXXXXXXXXX/      |  _ is where the aluminum was badly worn
  |      -XXXXXXXX-       |
  |         XXXX          |

Check the bottom of the cup before you install the kit!

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, In restoration since 11/96
95,000 miles, soon to be 95,001