Re: [Shotimes] Speedo Error... was: My MPG Test is Working!!

To: SHOtimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Speedo Error... was: My MPG Test is Working!!
From: Alan Fanning <Awfanning@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:29:51 -0700
The speedo reading has nothing to do with George's improved gas mileage -
other than I gather he is driving slower than he used to, which no doubt
helps.  The new tires just eliminate the error he previously had in the
speedo reading.

As for the odometer reading, he's correcting the new readings by the ratio
of diameters of the new (taller) vs old (shorter) tires, respectively. This
gives a corrected miles traveled with the same accuracy, or inaccuracy, as
previously (with the OEM tires). So the math is correct, and the improved
gas mileage impressive, but it's still not clear to me how much of the
improvement is the result of the taller tires and how much is the result of
a more conservative driving style.

If a 5% reduction in final drive ratio nets an improvement of several mpg's,
I question what the manufacturer's were thinking in not taking advantage of
that.

    Alan