[Shotimes] Convention notes and thanks reward for stolen items

To: "'SHO'" <v8sho@v8sho.com>, Shotimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Shotimes] Convention notes and thanks reward for stolen items
From: Donald Mallinson <dmall@mwonline.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:07:55 -0500
The Mallinson caravan left the hotel in Memphis a day early (Friday).
We had some issues with the hotel settling the bill, and after a couple
hours of trying without success to get them to honor their word, we felt
that we had had enough of Memphis and the heat.

That didn't blunt the glow we had from good times at the convention
though, and the hotel thing had nothing to do with any of you that
attended.  Basically I was happy with the hotel.  Access could have been
a little easier, but if you were like me, you found that after a day,
getting in and out was really pretty easy.  Certainly we have had
tougher locations to work from.

The parking lot worked out well, and I loved how things were compact.
That kept miles walked low compared to a lot of locations we looked at.

I would like to address a couple of very serious things.

Those that attended know about the huge burnout in the parking lot. Some
of you were around to hear my diatribe about it when I first saw it.  I
have not changed my position.  This is NOT what we should be doing.....
and here is why.

We now start the search for a location and hotel for next year.  When we
start negotiations, they will ask where we have been, and they may call
past hotels.  The Memphis hotel could tell them not to take our group
because of this.  And if you think a pair of tire stripes is not
important, then think about this:  That set of stripes will be there for
a long time, probably till they seal coat again.  In the meantime, other
guests with similar lack of control may think that it is OK for them to
do the same.  It only takes a little of this to grow to a real problem.

I would ask again that you NOT do burn outs when we are guests at a
property.  We spend huge sums of money to rent good race facilities so
you can get speed and fun out of your system, we do NOT need to be doing
this where we "live" so to speak during the week.  It makes MY life
harder while we are there and may effect our ability to get a good
location at a good price for years.  Let me say this again, THINK before
you do something that isn't funny, impressive or desirable.  It is
behavior we should be above.  If the conventions come to a halt, things
like this will be part of the reason.

One other thing.  Best as we can figure, three items were stolen from
the charity auction items during the week.  We let people look at them
in the registration room, and of course during the banquet, but we have
never had a problem with stolen items before.  A Tweeker, a set of cam
shim tools, and an alternator were taken.  I can't imagine hotel staff
taking such specific items, but it is possible.  I will pay $100 for
information leading to the return of all three items and the identity of
the thief.  I would like to think it is just one bad apple, IF it was
one of our group.  If  you know who did it, let me know, I will keep
your identity private.  I am not interested in prosecution, but they
will NOT be invited back if I find out who did it.  If YOU did it, and
would like to sleep better at night, then just send the items back to me
at this address:

SHO Club
902 S. Main St.
Washington IL 61571

Those items should have made money for charity.

The Charity auction WAS a success, as usual SHO folk are generous, and
we raised about $3200 for the American Cancer Society.  All
cash/checks/charges will be presented to ACS representatives in Peoria,
IL in the next week or two.  We even got $10 from the guy with the track
at the start finish line!

I am very proud of how our group behaved at the track events.  We had a
complicated and sometimes frustrating traffic flow, but things went
well.  A red flag was thrown Wednesday for outside truck traffic on the
road course, but the track personnel were amazed that our group
responded perfectly to the situation and this prevented possible tragedy.

I was happy to see, in 102+ degree heat and blazing sun, so many of you
out improving your driving skills, having fun, and just using these cars
as they were intended by the designers in charge!  At one point I was
standing in the drags pit lane listening to cars going down the drag
strip, while watching cars on the autocross course.  It was a moment of
joy because people were having fun.

I will say again, I don't know of another group that can do what we do
every year, with cars this old and parts getting scarce.  I don't mind
the non-SHO cars, because a SHO friend is still a SHO friend, even if
they have to buy and use something else.  I hope you keep coming back.

I was able to relax just a little bit this year because my sons took so
much on themselves to give me a break.  Well, giving up the reins is
nearly impossible, but I hope you noticed I was a little bit less tense,
and didn't yell at nearly so many people this year!   And yet, I could
not really start to relax till Wednesday was over, and nobody got hurt
or crashed.  That is always on my mind and why we emphasize safety so
much.  I am thinking about YOU first, and just want everyone to be safe.

There are a lot more stories, but this book is long enough for today.
Thanks to all of you for your support, I hope you had a great time, a
safe trip home, and if at all possible, we will do it all again next year.

Don Mallinson
(and Jan, Ken and his family and Don Jr. and his family)  special thanks
to all the volunteers and committee members that helped.