Re: [Shotimes] OT WAY unPC comment - Now Lynn St James

To: leighsm <leighsm@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] OT WAY unPC comment - Now Lynn St James
From: Donald Mallinson <dmall@mwonline.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:02:55 -0500
Leigh,

Great story.

I have been up close and personal with Lynn a couple of times.  Once at
the V8SHO shindig at the meadowlands in 1997 for those people that
bought the SHO V8 new in 1996 on the east coast.

Bill Staib sent me to cover it for the SHO Registry.

Lynn was the "lead" instructor and the big name they brought in but
there were about a dozen high quality pro drivers there, any of them
more interesting and informative than Lynn.

At one point she was supposed to demonstrat Under and oversteer with the
V8 SHO.  Understeer was a no brainer, but when it came time for
oversteer, the rather small friction circle they had set up would not
let her get up much speed.  She started with about normal tire pressures
and kept adding air.

At one point as this was not working at all, I pointed out that all the
"rules" for tires and stick said to loosen up a tire you let air out.

You saw the stare she gave me, didn't answer, just glared, the one that
can melt something harder than lead!  :)  I just raised my hands and
said "you are the one getting paid, go right ahead" and she eventually
just gave up.  I also laughed.  At least she wasn't aiming for me.

Don Mallinson