Re: [Shotimes] AC Compressor Help

To: Peter Maggiacomo <gtsrider@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] AC Compressor Help
From: James White <greensho@crown.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:03:55 -0500
Without looking it up, I think that the clearance of the A/C clutch
should be .030" +/-.  Much larger, the clutch will not engage properly.

If you have too much of a gap, remove the battery and unbolt the
clutch plate.  Use something like a putty knife to prevent the clutch
from rotating.  Wiggle the clutch off with a pair of small screw
drivers.  you should see one or two small washers.  These are the
shims that are used to adjust the clutch clearance.  Put things back
together without one of these shims.  Use your own judgement if there
are two shims.  If you had a big gap, take the big shim out, etc.
.

I have done this several times.  The '93mtx had two shims, but both
of the '95 mtx's had only one.

On the '93mtx the bearing went south after the shim removal, so I
had to replace the clutch.  The new clutch came with a new coil,
but I never did replace it, since it is a real pain to get deep into
the compressor to get at the snap ring that holds it in.

If you have a big gap, you will likely spend less time removing a
shim than you would waiting in line at the Ford "stealer" to explain
your problem, and then argue that it should be covered by your warranty.

regards, jim White - greensho@crown.net