shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] tv streaming stsuff

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tv streaming stsuff
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> Oq2fWBK/QbnDz6afI8eMxYovbO0vGe9GxubT4OPtvn31OgVV02sRGRJ6BPOIeznF/9QpMqLijIcN86vSadqybFs9v1wwu3BNhC8=
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:10:00 -0700

--------------BVr0J55sLqes0yYSHUNgxslT

I had DirectTV for years, then switched to Dish a couple years ago.
Dish, AFAIK, includes the stations you mentioned in the package we have
(next to the most expensive, about $210/mo). My Dish service includes a
remote converter (called 'Joey') if your house is wired for it--extra
charge, of course--but they include Netflix and Prime (and HBO/Max if
you pay for it) as embedded 'apps' so you don't have to switch TV input
to Roku (both require your own sub, of course). I have a Roku on a third
TV in our guest bedroom that rarely gets used.

The Dish user interface is 'prettier' than the DTV but it's buggy as
hell; for example, setting/deleting recordings is basically a one-click
operation on DTV but it's cumbersome on Dish, and I've yet to figure out
how to delete a whole stack of recordings (and when you finally do, it's
a 'dead end' on the menu!). DTV UI wins hands down, but the Dish DVR
capacity is larger (IIRC). Dish customer service has been reasonably
responsive the few times I've used it though, and local channels are
included in most packages I believe.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it, is keep the AT&T broadband if
you're happy with it--I use a locally-based radio provider--and try a
different source for video. I only used my Roku when Dish had a dispute
with NBC over carrier rights and I had to watch Sunday Night Football on
Peacock, which I somehow received even though I don't recall ever
signing up for it, and haven't paid for it AFAIK (don't look a gift
horse, etc.).

Disclaimer: *I hate AT&T with a passion*, for several reasons but mainly
because they totally screwed me over years ago and tried to con me into
paying for Uverse even though many features weren't available in our
area; their cell phone coverage at least used to be abysmal and I get
sick of their commercials they play, like, 15 times an hour on the
financial channel I watch (now, if 'Lily' was to go topless in them  ...).

bs

On 3/22/2024 7:21 AM, john wrote:
> AT&T contacted me saying they are doing away with my U-verse service.
> They offered Directv stream as my best option...cheaper, faster and
> with 300 mg internet...
> sounded good.
> Then for my local stuff and other their suggested a Roku device.
> Bought 3.
> Now upon install I find that channels that were included with Uverse
> ...i.e. Hallmark, HGTV, Food Network, Fox news and others (all my
> wife's favorites)
> were not included but only supplied as a subscribed service at
> anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks a month...
> Looking for alternatives to Roku device or other way to get those
> channels included... Cable is a no-go We only have Spectrum locally
> and it's mostly down
> all the time
> suggestions appreciated
> john
> and I'm going to get back to the Bluetooth hearing aid stuff soon.

--------------BVr0J55sLqes0yYSHUNgxslT

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    I had DirectTV for years, then switched to Dish a couple years ago.
    Dish, AFAIK, includes the stations you mentioned in the package we
    have (next to the most expensive, about $210/mo). My Dish service
    includes a remote converter (called 'Joey') if your house is wired
    for it--extra charge, of course--but they include Netflix and Prime
    (and HBO/Max if you pay for it) as embedded 'apps' so you don't have
    to switch TV input to Roku (both require your own sub, of course). I
    have a Roku on a third TV in our guest bedroom that rarely gets
    used. <br>
    The Dish user interface is 'prettier' than the DTV but it's buggy as
    hell; for example, setting/deleting recordings is basically a
    one-click operation on DTV but it's cumbersome on Dish, and I've yet
    to figure out how to delete a whole stack of recordings (and when
    you finally do, it's a 'dead end' on the menu!). DTV UI wins hands
    down, but the Dish DVR capacity is larger (IIRC). Dish customer
    service has been reasonably responsive the few times I've used it
    though, and local channels are included in most packages I believe.<br>
    My opinion, worth what you paid for it, is keep the AT&amp;T
    broadband if you're happy with it--I use a locally-based radio
    provider--and try a different source for video. I only used my Roku
    when Dish had a dispute with NBC over carrier rights and I had to
    watch Sunday Night Football on Peacock, which I somehow received
    even though I don't recall ever signing up for it, and haven't paid
    for it AFAIK (don't look a gift horse, etc.).<br>
    Disclaimer: <b>I hate AT&amp;T with a passion</b>, for several
    reasons but mainly because they totally screwed me over years ago
    and tried to con me into paying for Uverse even though many features
    weren't available in our area; their cell phone coverage at least
    used to be abysmal and I get sick of their commercials they play,
    like, 15 times an hour on the financial channel I watch (now, if
    'Lily' was to go topless in them  ...).<br>
    bs<br>
      cite="mid:1UhSDgtz0S.1CjcDrkJPAX@johns-desktop">
          doing away with my U-verse service. They offered Directv
          stream as my best option...cheaper, faster and with 300 mg
          internet...</font></div>
          suggested a Roku device.  Bought 3.</font></div>
          that were included with Uverse ...i.e. Hallmark, HGTV, Food
          Network, Fox news and others (all my wife's favorites)</font></div>
          a subscribed service at anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks a
          month...</font></div>
          or other way to get those channels included... Cable is a
          no-go We only have Spectrum locally and it's mostly down</font></div>
          Bluetooth hearing aid stuff soon.</font></div>

--------------BVr0J55sLqes0yYSHUNgxslT--

--===============5227173698393956351==

Shop-talk@autox.team.net

--===============5227173698393956351==--