shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] Fuses

To: Moose <eric@megageek.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fuses
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:08:15 -0600
On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 10:17â?¯PM Moose <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I figured I'd ask.
>
> My Jeep had a short circuit and blows a fuse if I turn on the lights.

replace the fuse with a circuit breaker.  you can get circuit breakers
that fit in most fuse holders.  I've also soldered wires to the
terminals of the blown fuse to attach a circuit breaker holder to.  In
addition to being cheaper to reset, you can fiddle with the value of
the breaker to see if it's a dead short, or overload.
as for finding them with a meter, my experience is most automotive
shorts are both intermittent (only happen when a wire moves to the
right place to rub the bare wire on something) and not really dead
shorts and have lots of resistance.  this makes finding them more fun!
 okay, not really.  but good technique is important.  Access to a good
diagram helps a lot, because shorts usually happen where there's a
junction, where the wires pass through the body or frame, or at a
load.  being able to divide the system in parts, and test them
indiviudually is key to finding them.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com