shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] Quick start fasdtener collection?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick start fasdtener collection?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:06:12 -0800

--------------cgRMQEtjDuhIlMTv7OrAJoSS

I've got a whole stack of 'assortments' I've bought at Harbor Freight
and big box stores, including screws, grommets, cotters, O-rings,
connectors, zerks, you name it. Quality may be suspect--even 'name'
brands are often sourced from you-know-where anyway--but, in a pinch,
they'll save you from an unnecessary trip to the hardware store. The one
thing I try to avoid, except in trivial applications, is electrical
connectors; the best ones, I've found, are at boating supply houses.

https://www.harborfreight.com/57-piece-stainless-steel-machine-screw-kit-67675.html

On 1/7/2024 9:32 AM, Benjamin Zwissler wrote:
> I see collections like that come up pretty regularly on my Facebook
> marketplace feed.   Sometimes it's the hardware style bins and
> sometimes just someone's home collection,  old coffee cans and cigar
> boxes included.
>
> I also used to see stuff at estate auctions but those don't happen so
> often around me anymore.
>
> Ben
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2024, 11:13â?¯AM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:
>
>     2 years ago I sold my house and moved overseas, giving away my 25
>     year collection of assorted fateners. Now I need it back :-)
>      Other than asking the local classifieds/freecycle, any thoughts
>     on how to amass a collection quickly? Yesterday I paid $1 each for
>     M8 pan head screws to mount a TV and today I discovered the old
>     washers are permanently affixed to the old short screws and I
>     don't have any washers <hangs head>.
>
>     thanks,
>     jim

--------------cgRMQEtjDuhIlMTv7OrAJoSS

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    I've got a whole stack of 'assortments' I've bought at Harbor
    Freight and big box stores, including screws, grommets, cotters,
    O-rings, connectors, zerks, you name it. Quality may be
    suspect--even 'name' brands are often sourced from you-know-where
    anyway--but, in a pinch, they'll save you from an unnecessary trip
    to the hardware store. The one thing I try to avoid, except in
    trivial applications, is electrical connectors; the best ones, I've
    found, are at boating supply houses.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.harborfreight.com/57-piece-stainless-steel-machine-screw-kit-67675.html";>https://www.harborfreight.com/57-piece-stainless-steel-machine-screw-kit-67675.html</a><br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAMHq6ZxY4VeEuna+jt+TO5T3AU6DyciCNZL9_8AWG=QXaYkR-Q@mail.gmail.com">
        regularly on my Facebook marketplace feed.   Sometimes it's the
        hardware style bins and sometimes just someone's home
        collection,  old coffee cans and cigar boxes included.
          those don't happen so often around me anymore. </div>
          Jim Franklin &lt;<a href="mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">jamesf@groupwbench.org</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">2
          years ago I sold my house and moved overseas, giving away my
          25 year collection of assorted fateners. Now I need it back
          :-)   Other than asking the local classifieds/freecycle, any
          thoughts on how to amass a collection quickly? Yesterday I
          paid $1 each for M8 pan head screws to mount a TV and today I
          discovered the old washers are permanently affixed to the old
          short screws and I don't have any washers &lt;hangs head&gt;.<br>
          thanks,<br>
          jim<br>

--------------cgRMQEtjDuhIlMTv7OrAJoSS--

--===============8947912160074241890==