shop-talk

Line trimmer (no car stuff at all)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Line trimmer (no car stuff at all)
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:52:53 EDT
Well, this list is a bit quiet, so here goes.

I bought a house last October, so this summer I bought a 15" Toro electric
line trimmer.  Small yard, so that is all I need and they are relatively
cheep at 40 bucks.  But, it got me thinking...

When I bump the line feed, more line comes out.  (That, in itself seems like
magic, but I digress...)  As you cut the weeds, where does the line go?  Why
does it get shorter?  Should I see little bits of line everywhere? (I don't!)
 Will I eventually see piles of line dust growing where the weeds used to be?
 Are the pieces of line microscopic when they break off?  Do bugs pick them
up and make line feed nests for their young?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget