shop-talk

coolant loss

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: coolant loss
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:24:16 -0400
Hope someone could help with a question about stop-leak products:

For about 2 weeks the joint between the cylinder head and block on
my
van is weeping coolant. This is a Mazda MPV with a V six and its a
lengthy job to remove the cylinders.  The leak is not a major leak,
but about 1 pint a week in
daily city driving.  I'm positive its the head gasket, and normally
would take the time to pull it and do the job correctly.

But time is a problem right now as I'm about to leave on a 300 mile
trip.  A friend suggested a GM product that consists of pellets you
crush and add to the radiator to stop leaks.  Normally I never buy
these types of products because they rarely work, but since its a GM
dealer product, and I can't do the headgasket now, I though I would
try it as a temporary remedy.

Has anyone tried this product?  Any other suggestions? Sorry for
asking a non-shop question, but I'm supposed to leave soon!

Thanks,

Gene

///