Re: [Oletrucks] wheels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] wheels
From: Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:18:39 -0800
 From what I understand, tubeless is a function of the tire design and
has nothing to do with the rim, unless, perhaps,  you are talking about
wire wheels. There is some confusion since about the same time tubeless
tires came out, they invented the safety rim that had a safety bead that
is intended to keep the tire on the rim in case of a sudden and compete
loss of air pressure.

For what it's worth, I found some original wheels in pretty rough shape,
cleaned the rust off with a wire wheel, sprayed them with rustoleum and
mounted new tubeless tires and porta-whites fake white walls. that was
several months ago and I don't have much road time, but they haven't
lost any air.

There are some pictures at
http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m541/kinderlehrer/truck/ if you're
interested.

Bob
'56 step side

On 1/6/2011 10:49 AM, Durwood B. Darbin wrote:
> Have you tried using some newer tubeless wheels with the correct back spacing
> and installing your own hubcap clips?  There used to be tech articles by
> Smokey Culver about installing hubcap wheel clips on some F*#d wheels on
> Inliners.org, Jimmy carter truck parts, Stovebolt.com et al but I couldn't
> find them there.  If you Google 'install hubcap clips' there will be many
> versions of the Smokey Culver hubcap clip installation listed.  I'm thinkin'
> that Smokey is a red headed, left handed Texan or Canadian or something
> similar, but that don't matter, I guess.
>
> Durwood @ TESRWNN
> 51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window
> 52 Burb
> 54 Jimmy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window