[oletrucks] little extra from plugs

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] little extra from plugs
From: "Tom Cooper" <cooptnt@att.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:24:25 -0400
All the plugs in my ole truck have turned black. Some of it, may be due to
the fact that I didn't crank the truck but about once or twice during the
winter, and when I did crank  I poured a little gas in the carb. Another
reason they are black is because what I thought was a good distributor cap,
wasn't very good.
The plugs are old but have never been ran on the road, just used to crank
the truck and pull it in and out of the shop, and sometimes I would let it
sit and idle for 20 or 30 minutes to bring up the temp to check for leaks.
Anyway my question is, if I wire brush the tips and put a little fine (180g)
sandpaper between the electrodes will it help? It has a little periodical
pop though the exhaust and I think it is the cap. I am hoping I can save the
plugs for a few more trips in and out of the shop. I know new plugs would be
best, but I like many others are trying to save as much as I can, but still
work on my ole truck. Any advice is appreciated.

               Tom in SC

               1955 Chevy TF