[oletrucks] Rear End Replacement

To: ric_mcanulty@yahoo.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear End Replacement
From: mark <ccpanel@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 10:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with steve in that the best is a patricks 3.55 ratio in your
torgue tube.
i disagree with the 70's rear axle since it is MUCH wider than stock.

another thing you have to consider is that when you swap rear axle-you
have to make your parking brake hookup, weld exactly alidned spring
pads on the new axle, new driveshaft made, change your transmission to
one that has open driveshaft, and whatever clothes you wear will smell
like 90w for a long time! =)

ive done it a lot. for various reason.

for a correct width axle thats 5 lug-chevy car from 74-81,
camaro/nova/skylark/lemans....- the small body cars.

in my opinion-if you do swap. go whole hog and get a better design axle
and get a ford/mopar pressed bearing axle in 8" or bigger. get it
narrowed to 61" WMS-WMS, and install all new bearings. if you are
running 1:1 trans final ratio get a 3.31-3.08 ratio depending on tires,
if running a OD of any type get a 3.42-3.55 ratio.
in my truck its 1:1 and i run 3.31 ratio with 237/75-15 tires and
inliner-does AWESOME in power and highway-not too low to hinder towing
or loaded.
in my hot rod panel i have a 0.70 OD and run 3.42 posi with 255/60-15
tires and SBC. perfect highway ratio-16-17mpg, and SBC roasts the posi
anytime i want....
mark

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings,
and more!
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658