RE: [oletrucks] 1946 chevy 3/4 ton

To: <robertwolf1@msn.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 1946 chevy 3/4 ton
From: "Thomas, Robert E." <RThomas@buttecounty.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 22:40:24 -0700
The 216 is a "low speed engine" because it uses Babbitt bearings (vice
more modern "insert" bearings) and is . . . Gutless.

With the stated criteria of "near original" and "stick shift," I'd
suggest a 250 or 292 I-6 & a T-5 out of an 86-92 S-10 (i.e., mechanical
speedo, forward located shifter).  Not as gutless, equally thirsty,
mitigated some by the T-5.

If you want the truck to have good torque, may I suggest a stroked 350
(if bored, would be a "383") & a modern, forward-mounted shifter T-56.
Spendy.  Plenty of torque, ability to handle hills.

Ken's right - the real issue is how handy the person doing the
conversion is.

RT