[oletrucks] Fwd: Distributor Oil Presure Subject--I know the answer !!!!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Fwd: Distributor Oil Presure Subject--I know the answer !!!!!!!
From: SteveColumbusGA@wmconnect.com
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:33:40 EDT
From: SteveColumbusGA@wmconnect.com
Full-name: SteveColumbusGA
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:08:58 EDT
To: tim.lloyd@gmail.com

Sir, I have a 1959 Chevy Apache (Showroom New in and out).  I installed a
Malory Unilite distributor on mine to get rid of the old braker points.
I encountered the same as you say in your problem.  The tang is shaped like a
screwdriver at the bottom of the distributor.  When installing mine, it
worked, no oil presure----yet the distributor sat about 1/4 inch max above
where
the original bottoms out, you may notice yours could push down about another
1/4
inch. .  I did not realize this till later, everythings appears to be in
proper place,  yet, the screwdriver slot must drop into the oil pump slot--
like a
screwdriver to turn a screw, or else, distributor will work but oil pump is
not turning since the distributor tang on the bottom runs the oil pump.  I
found it very difficult to get the exact position, after aprox 2 days I finally
landed that final 1/4 inch.  Then I had oil pressure.  Since the distributor
drive gear is helical, when the distributor engages to the gear, prior to
bottoming out, it rotates slightly because of the helical drive gear.  Thats
the way
it is, so therefore, for 2 days I practiced with a long screwdriver turning
the oil pump shaft with a screwdriver ever so slightly--it turns freely, each
time having to drop the distributor down--slight rotation because of the
helical
gear-until I finally engaged the oil pump, distributor dropped that extra 1/4
inch, and oil presure was ok, everything was ok.   It's diffficult but
eventually you will get it down,  this is teadious because the distributor is
in the
hole, so you can't see the slots of the dist and oil pump engage--even
tougher because distributor rotates slighty because the helical gears.
I've been there, just be patient, just turn that oil pump slotted --like flat
head screwdriver,  just little bitty fraction like a couple of degrees at a
time, (one fill turn is 360 degrees) it will finally drop in all the way, you
will be then happy.  ITS TOUGH.
So tough I was about to remove the oil pan, thanks I didn't need to, I spent
2 days trying to figure this out.  It will get done just be patient, it will
engage, just do like I said with the oil pump shaft they will finally come in
line.  Also my truck the distibutor, when I had the problem, there was the 1/4
inch gap between bottom of distributor and bottoming out point, you will
notice when looking there.  PLEASE reply back to me, I love my old truck.  I
will
tell you more.