Re: [oletrucks] Engine Questions

To: "Kiel Parkinson" <InsanityIsBorn@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine Questions
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@oldsub.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:56:58 -0700
The most economical answer will be to replace the motor that blew with one
from the same family.  Swapping to a V-8 will not be safer, cheaper to do,
or more economical.

Not safer because a V-8 swap will require steering modifications.

Not cheaper because a V-8 swap will require exhaust modifications.

You want a 230 or 250 straight six from a 1963 to 80-something Chevy car,
pickup or van.  You don't want a V-6 because it will complicate things in
ways that will cost money.  You also don't want a 292 because it is just
enough different than your existing 250 that it will also add expense.

I'd start looking for a donor car with a motor that will fit, or watching
for a motor coming out of some car or pickup about to receive a V-8.  You
may get a motor that way for nearly nothing.

If you are truly looking for the cheapest most economical answer I think
this is your best shot short of getting someone else to pay for it.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com