[oletrucks] old question revisited

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] old question revisited
From: "Williams Grant Civ Det 2, 412 AMXS/MXA2T"
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:11 +0100
Hi All,

I have a 50 GMC 270 CI, 6 bolt crank w/11" flywheel and clutch. I'm
wondering if an early model Muncie or Borg Warner would work, or one of the
sixties Camaro/Firebird transmissions. Does anyone know of an early style GM
4 speed that would bolt up to my GMC?

The old question is, "What stock manual transmission will bolt up to my
stock stovebolt bell housing?"  I'm not interested in the AT conversion, and
I want to get rid of granny gear.

Regarding getting rid of the enclosed driveline is easy when looking at the
rear end swap. However, keeping the stock bell housing, as far as I know,
leaves me with no easy option for transmission. I've looked at the T-5
option which really looks like a hit or miss project.  Believe me, I've done
my homework and it just doesn't look like an easy mod.

How about some discussion on this? Any help is appreciated.  BTW, I've
thought about handing this over to a shop to get the work done but I'm one
of those that prefer not to have others do work on my vehicles. "You just
can't get good help these days."

Grant

50 GMC

45 Burb