Re: [oletrucks] 235 engine

To: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 engine
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:58:54 -0400
Mark,
    The filter should be serviced as with any engine breather, there should
be an element inside that can be replaced or possible blown out with
compressed air and reinstalled.  Regarding the engine smoke...

First thing to determine is what kind of smoke.
White smoke (actually steam) implies water
(coolant) is entering one or more cylinders.
Being steam, it dissipates quickly.  Causes
include bad head gasket, cracked head or block.
Usually most noticeable immediately after
starting the engine.

Blue-white smoke implies excessive oil is being
burned in one or more cylinders.  Causes include
bad piston rings, valve guides and valve stem
seals.  This smoke tends to hang around the longest.

Black smoke implies too much fuel.  In a carburated
engine, causes include choke not opening properly,
carburetor float level too high, carburetor float
sunk and gas from carburetor float chamber entering
intake manifold through some non-standard path (such
as loose screws, loose jets, a crack in the casting).

--wayne