[oletrucks] Re: how can I identify an engine?

To: VICTOR OROZCO <vovf@hotmail.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: how can I identify an engine?
From: The Botelers <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:14:02 -0400
Hey Victor,

Help us out a little, do you have a Chevy or GMC?  Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder
engine?  About what year is it?  The numbers are not always in the same
place.

Casting numbers will be the raised numbers, these numbers were normally the
same for several years while they used that exact motor (about 7 digits
long).  Then there is the Casting Date Code, the numbers are smaller then
the main casting numbers and normally start with a letter followed by 3 or 4
numbers.

The engine Serial Number will be a machine stamped number with the numbers
only about 1/4" in size and depending on the year could be anywhere from
about 6 digits to 12 or more.  They will be stamped on a smooth flat
surface, normally on the front half of the motor.

Look around and let us know what you find!

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Stake
'56 6400 Stake
'56 8400 Wrecker w/Holmes 525