RE: [oletrucks] tie rods

To: <zigga50@att.net>, "old chevy trucks"
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] tie rods
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:31:37 -0500
If you are referring to the "ball" piece of the steering arm I removed mine
like this.
If the "pictures" below look funny import them into the editor of your choice
and set the font to a fixed pitch font such as Courier with a 10 pitch.

                      /---\
                     /     \
                    |       |
                    \       /
                 ____\     /____
                 |   :     :   |
                 |   :     :   |
                 |   :     :   |
                 |   :     :   |
                 |___/_____\___|
                     ^     ^
                  Dremmel tool grind
                        around stud end of
                        ball to remove peening.
                        You don't have to go
                        deep, maybe just 1/16".
                        And you don't need to
                        grind the whole surface,
                        just the edges.

                      /---\
                     /     \
                    |       |
                    \       /
                 ____\  |  /____
                 |   :  |  :   |
                 |   :  |  :   |
                 |   :  |  :   |
                 |   :  |  :   |
                 |___/__|__\___|

                        ^
                   Drill 1/8" hole
                   deep enough to
                   reach into but
                   not through the
                   ball.  Make sure
                         the hole is in
                         the center of
                   the stud.

                      /---\
                     /     \
                    |       |
                    \  ___  /
                 ____\|   |/____
                 |   :|   |:   |
                 |   :|   |:   |

                        Enlarge the hole
                        using larger drill
                        bits up to 3/8".

Now put a 3/8" punch into the hole and tap gently to remove the ball.  When
that does not work wind up and take a real swing at it.  After soaking your
other hand in ice to get the swelling down, try it one more time, being careful
not to hit yourself.  It will now come out.