Re: [oletrucks] routing heat hose on a SBC

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] routing heat hose on a SBC
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:57:32 -0700
> My latest problem is trying to figure out how to route the heater hose.
> The SB has the alt mounted on the pass side with a gigantic ugly
> bracket that attaches to the top of the water pump and the intake
> manifold.
> Comming off the intake is a port for a heater hose.  My problem is that
> my alternator is in the way or routing the heater hose.
> I was thinking there would be a better way to mount the alternator so
> it's a little further back.

If you're using the 69-newer (car) long water pump, the alternator
pretty much as to go where it is (assuming you have all the correct
brackets).  I've never noticed a problem with routing the hose, but it
might be that you have a strange intake manifold that has the outlet in
an odd place?  Although there were two different designs for the top
bracket, if I recall right the early one bolts to one of the thermostat
housing bolts, and the later one bolts to an intake manifold bolt. I've
also seen replacement chinese chrome brackets that are rather slender
and might make it look better to you.

> I saw a long curved "universal mount" bracket at pep boys.  Has anyone
> used this? It looks like it would bolt to the pass side of the water
> pump.

The long bracket is used for the short water pump setup.  The alternator
mounts on the drivers side, either on the front of the head, or on the
exhaust manifold, depending on what year etc.

> What vehicles could I steal brackets from? Or maybe there's a better
> way to attach the heater hose?

You could run the heater hose from the passenger side head, between the
last two exhaust ports, if there's room for a fitting wiht the
manifolds/headers you're using.  There's a threaded plug on the head there.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2