[oletrucks] Door Latches & Strikers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Door Latches & Strikers
From: Alan Horvath <alan@alanhorvath.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:23:27 -0500
I just got off the phone with my antique car wizard mechanic guy who
really knows the score.
:o)
He told me:

First, you have to make sure the door is sitting right.  Close the door
without the striker in place and see that the body-lines are lined up.
If not, then adjust the way the door is sitting by messing with the
hinge bolts.

Then, you just gotta keep playing with the striker ... moving it up,
down, in, out, and messing with the angles, too; bottom in further than
the top, top in further than the bottom ... you gotta just find out
where it likes to be, and when you move it, just move it a hair at a
time.

As far as moving the striker up and down, you want the SEAT of the
striker to be just below the seat of the latch -- not scraping or
touching.

I just messed around with mine for about 15 minutes, moving the
strikers up so the seats are closer to each other and got a great
improvement.  Then my wizard called me and I realized I wasn't paying
any attention to TILTING the striker, so I'm gonna try that now and see
if I can't get it better still.

Alan
http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/