Re: [oletrucks] Roller rockers in a 235?

To: "Christian Pointer" <kissaki@highstream.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Roller rockers in a 235?
From: "Kerwin M Lehmann" <klehmann@bentonrea.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:50:48 -0800
 Well Cris the the best? engineered rocker system to date is the rocker
shaft system, which the 235 came with standard equiped. The weak point in
the overhead valve train is the pushrods.With good rocker arm face grinding
and polishing, spring pressures of 100# or less on seat and no coil bind
when full open and proper oiling [the root of most rocker failures] the Chev
system should last forever. You asked about supercharging, Most cams have
what they call overlap, this is a point in the cam cycle where both in and
ex are offseat for over 100 degrees, this purges and cools the cylinders.
As old Chevs go I have a 1946 1 1/2T old model 235 with unknown miles that
the original owner used Havoline oil, when I took the head off for a valve
job the rockers and shaft were in perfect shape. A lot of old timers used
non-detergent oil in their old Chevs because the oil consumtion was less.
This was a false economy as they were slowly pluging the oiling sys which
only had 15# pressure to begin with. These old Chevs will consume oil
through the valve guides unless you modernize with valvestem seals. I hope I
helped answer some of your questions.

Lee