[oletrucks] Re: Stock steering column mods for power steering upgrade

To: Joe_Parker357@msn.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Stock steering column mods for power steering upgrade
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:02:03 -0600
Joe:
Per your original message below, did you look at my technical article on the
www.chevytrucks.org website?  I used a late-model Pontiac Gran Prix steering
column, but had to cut it several times to get the correct length.

With a stock column, you'll have to cut the outer casing first, then the
actual rod inside that runs to the steering gearbox.  Make sure your inner
rod sticks out past the casing at least 3-4 inches.   A visit to a junkyard
could get you the "bearing/bushing" off the end of a late model steering
column (mine was originally held on with a wire clip but I just drilled a
couple of holes in the casing to attach it).   You won't need a bearing to
support the inner rod, some kind of bushing to keep it centered in the
casing would do just fine (mine on the late model column was plastic believe
it or not)!

I'd suggest cutting the casing within 4 inches of where it comes through the
floor of the cab.  Reason is, if you mount the new steering gear box on the
outside of the frame rail (as I did), you'll need as much room possible to
fit in your two universal joints and have enough straight length between
them so the universal joints won't bind when you turn the steering wheel
(U-joint manuf. says no more than 15 degree angle at either u-joint or they
will tend to hang-up).   I had to slightly notch my inner fender well at the
bottom (close to where it meets the frame), for the new rod to through.

I bought u-joints that matched the splines on the new steering gear box at
one end, and the diameter of the steering column inner rod for the other.
Opposite ends of each u-joint were 3/4 inch diameter and I used a piece of
3/4 inch aluminum round stock to connect the u-joints.  To finish the
install, I drilled holes through both ends of each u-joint and put either
1/4 or 5/16 inch bolts through the u-joints and rods (didn't do this at new
steering gear box end with the splines).  I didn't trust using an allen
screw and jam nut (provided with the u-joints) because I thought with time
they may loosen up with time.

Hope this helps, if you need more details write me back and I'll try to
help.  Good Luck!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL

>From: "Joe Parker" <Joe_Parker357@msn.com>
>To: <the_hams@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Carl, I need some imformation on changing my 55 2nd over to
>powersteering like you did but I want to keep my stock steering column, and
>i can not find that imformation any where, any help you could give me would
>be deeply appreciated.
>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:34:05 -0500

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays!  Snappier product search...
http://shopping.msn.com