Re: [oletrucks] Original Radio hook up to 12 volt?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Original Radio hook up to 12 volt?
From: TOUCANMAN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:59:50 EDT
wayne@chevytrucks.org writes:

> You'll need a voltage drop resistor--most of the vendors carry this item.
> Its drop the voltage from 12 to 6 volts for your radio and can be used on
> things such as heater blowers..   Jim Carters carries these at
> http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/p/1955_1966/fullpage.php?page=032&;
> session=1005902
> although it list it as ignition voltage drop resistor but a quick phone
> call to them would clarify.   --wayne

Hey,i have one of these ceramic type of voltage reducers instaled.my  truck
is converted to 12 volts  with a 6 volt original radio,and it seems to work
fine for me, ive had it 3 or 4 years now .i picked up another original radio.i
replaced all the tubes ,speaker,vibrator ect.and it still didnt work.so i
called
a vintage radio repairman for advice or an estimate to fix it, He will not
guarantee his work if you use a reducer like these. he really did not like
reducers for some reason but for  25.00 or $45.00 (i cant remember of hand) he
would put in a 12 volt power source in the radio. so the radio would be 12 volt
with no converter nesesary....it was gona be like 300 dollars for a
professional rebuild with all new modern capacitors to replace the paper ones
they came
with originaly,replace any bad tubes/vibrator and convert it to 12
volts......Steve
Ps if you go the converter route like i did.all converters are not the
same.....the one i have is specifically made for use in our old  trucks , with
two
places to hook up your accessories .the one side is rated for the radio and the
other side is rated or reduced to provide the proper amperage output for the
heater...if i remember right i got it from Heavy Chevy for 20.00. i just
recently found a used one at swapmeet just like if for pennys.its like 3 1/2 "
by 3
1/2 " by 1 " thick white ceramic.made by Columbia Volt-a-Drop.they make
different models for different applications.and they get very hot!!!!