[oletrucks] Updates to trucks and to Web site - new pictures

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Updates to trucks and to Web site - new pictures
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 17:42:54 -0600
In case anybody is interested I've thrown together the pictures I had of
our two trucks and thrown it on to a page of our web site.  Here is the
link: http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/index.html

Don't expect anything too fancy.

Status on the trucks is as follows:  On the '49 Wrecker I haven't yet
done muck to it since it runs and drives fine as long as I just use it
around our place.  It needs a little brake work, at least a new master
cylinder before taking it out on to the road.

On the '51 I have the '84 305 HO in the truck and bolted up to the
Saginaw 4-speed.  I've pieced together a Hurst shifter that seems to
work fine from a couple of eBay purchases (one for an entire Hurst
Saginaw shifter assembly and another for the proper Hurst handle for a
pickup).  Today I finished hooking up the mechanical clutch using a
bracket, that I found in the bed of the truck, to bolt up one end to the
305 block and modifying the other shaft mounting bracket that was
already bolted to the frame.  Its amazing how long some of this stuff
can take, but it seems to work fine now.

The engine is pretty much just waiting for intake and exhaust manifolds
(both of which I purchased on eBay last week), starter and carburetor.
 I gave up on the spreadbore 327 intake manifold and square bore WCFB
carburetor that I had and am going with an aluminum Edelbrock intake and
a Edelbrock 500 CFM carb (I am borrowing the carb from my MGB V8
project).  The exhaust manifolds that I bought are 2-inch Chevy rams
horn type that should bolt right up to the existing exhaust on the
truck.  The rams horn manifolds that I already had wouldn't bolt up
because the exits angled back instead of going strait down.  Hopefully I
will get the starter squared away this week after a visit to my local
junk yard.  Since the engine block is drilled for both types of holes it
looks as if the pickup style starter will work.  I'll try the junkyard
first since that will at least give me one that I can use as a core (I
hate eating the $25 core charge).  After that I just a need a fuel pump
and a little wiring and a few hoses installed to hopefully get it running!

Kevin