[oletrucks] Master Cylinder, part two

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Master Cylinder, part two
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 18:06:08 -0800
First, THANKS to all you who responded to my question yesterday!  The
additional knowledge certainly helped.

I only managed to get a couple hours to work on it today, but have ordered a
new master cylinder (nearest parts house didn't have one on the shelf), and
have mostly removed the old one.  I had trouble getting one of the brake lines
loose, and discovered something interesting while trying to sort it out.

It seems that one line comes off the master and goes to the left front brake.
A second line comes off the master and got to a T on the right side.  A line
goes forward from that T to the right front brake, and a line goes from that T
toward the rear for the back brakes.

As a result going with a dual master cylinder means also re-plumbing the
brakes at least the front brakes, since front and rear need to be split.

I haven't decided yet whether to buy pre-made lines, or to make my own.

I suppose everyone else is thinking I'm a dummy and should have known this
already.  But just in case I'm not the only dummy I offer it as a warning to
anyone else upgrading brakes on an AD truck.